13 February, 2008

most. important. record. ever.

I'm skipping school today, for no good reason. I am eventually going do something more productive with my time than blog (like watch the next couple of episodes of Sarah Conner Chronicles), but I've been clicking around the internets for a bit and starting reading this Pitchfork (surprise!) article about Neutral Milk Hotel's "In The Aeroplane Over the Sea". They're making this really big deal about it--they love it in case you didn't know. A while back they named it the best album of the 90's I think. (So I just double checked and it's actually #4)

Though I never listened to it when it was released back in '98, I was always vaguely aware of it. I distinctly remember seeing it featured in Columbia House ads and Spin reviewed it favourably, for these were the days when I was beholden to Spin rather than Pitchfork. It wasn't until years later that I actually heard it, and even later still when I got really attached to it while painting my bedroom with Angie. My favourite thing about it is how sad it is without ever wallowing. And the strange nostalgia that listening to it brings. And the way that something so bizarre can be so familiar.

Here are two of my favourites:

King Of Carrot Flowers-Neutral Milk Hotel

Communist Daughter-Neutral Milk Hotel

The reason I bring this up though is, in the article they have several musicians (of the indie variety obviously) talking about their relationship with the record. Several of them name-checked similarly lauded albums, and several more of them say that they didn't really like this one at first, and were afraid to admit that fact to their (presumably) indie friends. That made me think of albums that those who read this kind of pop critic stuff feel real pressure to like.

Like Daydream Nation. Sonic Youth in general actually. I tried it out, gave it a real shot, but I just don't really like Daydream Nation. I think it's a great title, it's got a great cover (that I'd imagine looks even better on a 12"), but it does nothing for me. It makes me feel like I'm missing out on something too, because my general reaction to it is just "that's so noisy". Like I'm 60 years old or something.

So I'm wondering, if anyone is reading this, about which records you SHOULD like but don't. Anyone secretly think Loveless is a mess? That Exile On Mainstreet is ten tracks too long? That Unknown Pleasures is too depressing to listen to or take seriously?

4 comments:

Elyse Connery said...

I was totally reading this (not knowing it was your blog) and was like, whoa this girl totally sounds like me ( I assumed it was a girl typing )but alas, it's YOU! Hey! I totally agree about sonic youth. I'm just not interested in them in general and I ALWAYS feel guilty about it or something. What's up with that?

I'm listening to Stevie Ray Vaughn. My brother is named after him. Who is the 60 year old now.

Anonymous said...

Never been a big fan of the "taste police" myself. What's kinda funny is that my friend and I always loved this album and would text each other (schizophrenic) lyrics from it all the time. I had NO idea it was such big a deal that the folks at Pitchfork would deign to waste so much of their precious time...
I happen to worship at the altar of kim gordon and thurston moore. I get where the music might not connect with some people, thouogh. You have to have a certain emotionally detached sensibility to appreciate it, I think.

samsamsam said...

Coldplay. Just....can't.........listen.

jp23 said...

I feel that way about Neutral Milk Hotel. Everyone, including my boss, loves them. I bought into the hype and was not impressed. Sorry.
Sgt. Pepper...good record..one of the best of all time, accoeding to critics...me, not so sure.

Doolittle, by the Pixies, will always be the best cd of all time for me, because it's actually the one cd (and group) that changed my life and how I listened and looked at music. Almost 20 years later, not too much out there can say that