03 March, 2008

flat parsely. never curly.

I just finished watching Barefoot Contessa. It was my first episode ever, though I've been meaning to watch it since the episode of Curb where you find out that Cheryl TiVo's it. I really liked the contrived spontaneity, like "ohh this sea bass could use something unexpected, maybe I'll go check the pantry and see what I can come up with," then she pulls a bottle of pernod and "oh this will be perfect," and it is! Is she actually endorsing people going out to get a bottle of pernod just to make her fucking sea bass though? no one has it just lying around, and if you do buy it, it will certainly still be there by the next time you wanna make that sea bass, cuz no one's using it for anything else. nu-uh.

Well, this "spontaneity" extended to her wondering aloud what her friend (Roger I think) would do for flower arrangements because "he makes such fabulous arrangements."

Meanwhile, at Roger's house...he IS making fabulous arrangements! and he's wearing his pastel sweater! Roger was hands down the best part of Barefoot Contessa, but I fear he's not an actual fixture on the show and that I just got lucky that my first episode of Barefoot Contessa was the "Roger Episode". He just piled all these grapes in a big ol' bowl and tucked some laurel or salal or something leaves in there, and it came out looking pretty fuckin lovely. That way, Roger said, "If any of the girls gets impatient for dinner they can just pick off a grape." Don't mind if I do, Roger!

Then, you know what he did?, he set the place settings with each of "the girls"'s favourite flowers. So like, if your favourite flower were the peony, for example, you would know to sit in the chair with the peony. "Good conversation starter," Robert fake-whispered, like it was our little secret.

Anyhow, "The Contessa"'s food all looked really beautiful, and appetizing, and just fussed-over enough. I'd totally make any of those dishes, and probably be pretty pleased with myself for having done it too. She kind of reminds me of my mother, in a very unnerving rather than comforting way though, so I'm not going to TiVo it or anything.




Food Nework Bonus Fun-Fact!: I fuckin hate it when Rachael Ray (well, does anything) talks about adding E.V.O.O to things. GAWD! Stop that.

1 comment:

samsamsam said...

Has Nigella Lawson reached you?